Book Girl by Sarah Clarkson

Book Girl: A Journey Through The Treasures And Transforming Power Of A Reading Life by Sarah Clarkson

A Journey through the Treasures & Transforming Power of a Reading Life

This has to count for one of the most unique and yet interesting books I have ever read.  I appreciate the faithful who take the time to read my book reviews. Basically, we are talking a book full of book reviews, which is quite fascinating.  Now I will admit that to read through over 20 books lists/book reviews back to back does get a bit exhausting, but that is no fault of the author at all. The book is meant to be read cover to cover or it is meant to be read in snippets based on where you are at in life and what you are looking to learn or what you need for the current situation.

One of the things Sarah talk about is discernment in reading and she say this: "When I come to a dilemma of discernment, I often find that if I examine what the book produces in me - in my emotions, my imagination, my desires, my sense of what is real or true - I can quickly identify whether the book is one I want to continue."

"Books are more than ideas bound to black type; they are also gifts, companions, physical presences that walk with us through certain seasons of our lives."

I was fascinated by the books listed and quickly realized that my reading intake is on a vastly different plane than Sarah's. While I recognized a few books like Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, some of C.S. Lewis', etc., there were many, many new titles and authors. It made me reconsider what I read, but most of all, I think this book, Book Girl, impressed on me the desire to learn more from the books I read, to consider the plot, the hero/heroine, the main topic, etc. more carefully and to fully immerse myself in the story and to learn and grow and become a better person as a result.

One thing I did do was list a book from each book list that I would most like to read. I wrote them down in my book journal and I want to make an effort to include some of those in the near future, once I catch up on my current stack. Each book list addressed a different stage of life. For example "The Beloved Dozen: The Novels that Taught Me How to Live (Or, if you read nothing else, read these) or "Courage, Dear Heart: The Spiritual Classics that Made my Heart Strong (Or, books to nourish and stretch the soul)"

Another thing Sarah encouraged that I had just started to do was to keep a book journal. She also recommended marking up books, but I just can't bring myself to do that yet.

I really enjoyed this book and if you are looking for some new titles or reading to suit your current situation, this is the book for that.

I received this book from Tyndale and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche