Miss Brenda and the Loveladies by Brenda Spahn and Irene Zutell



A disclaimer:  this is now how my my book looks, but it seems to be the same story.

This is the story of how one took on the Alabama justice system and against all odds established a whole way house for women newly released from prison with nowhere to go.  The prison system doubted her success and the first group of women they sent to her were label as unrehabilitateable (yes, I may have just made that word up, I'm not sure).  They were a hard group of women led by an angry lady named Shay who was convinced they were going to be forced into a maid's uniform and become slaves to this rich lady.  The book is laugh out loud funny, such as the description of their first trip to Walmart, but it is also extremely sad as you listen to some of these ladies stories and their childhood: the abuse, the lack of love, the exposure to drugs. Heartrending.

While I may not be in agreement with all of Brenda's beliefs, I believe she has a heart for God and a love for these ladies.  After getting kicked out of their original house because of upset neighbors, they bought an old hospital, renovated it and today, the Lovelady Center is the biggest and most successful nonprofit transitional center in the country.  They serve about 450 women and children a day.  It's amazing what one person can do when fully committed to God.

I would recommend this book for reading, though I would also recommend caution because some of the descriptions are a little graphic.  Let's say I wouldn't let my children read it until they were in at least their upper teens.

This book was given me by Blogging for Books for the the purpose of reading and writing a review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee