Henry Hodges Needs a Friend by Andy Andrews and illustrated by Colleen Madden



Let me say first and foremost: I loved, loved, loved this book.  It's a children's book about a little boy who lived at the end of a "long dead end street" and had no friends to play with.  His parents promised him a pet that was going to be one of a kind just like him.  He commenced to dreaming about the kind of pet that would be unlike any other.  In the end, he finds a puppy who looks just as lonely as he feels.  It's a fun story written in rhyme that reminds me just a little of Dr. Seuss.  I read the story to my 3.5 week old daughter, but I don't think she got too much out of it, though I'm hoping to fuel her obsession with books as young as possible!! :) :)  I would say this book would be for toddlers and up to maybe 1st or 2nd grade?  I'm not real good with when a story like this would no longer be interesting.

The message of the book was summed up in the last line, "just like your friend needs you." I would take the message to be that everyone needs a friend.  The illustrations were amazing.  Henry dreamed of funny animals like skating hippos and short necked giraffes and Colleen did a really good job of illustrating them in a kid-friendly manner.  I loved the pictures, they went perfectly with the story line for each page.  I wouldn't say there was a strong spiritual message in the book, a few lines toward the end, but it was a good, solid book that I would definitely recommend to others.

This book was given to me by Book Look Bloggers for the purpose of reading and writing a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

April Reads

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee