Bella's Gift by Rick and Karen Santorum with Elizabeth Santorum



Bella's gift is a beautiful story of love. Bella is a Trisomy 18 child.  The diagnosis of Trisomy 18 is generally equal to a death sentence, but the Santorum's set out to prove the statistics wrong.  They fought the odds including many medical personnel who viewed Bella as an unsustainable liability, which is very sad.  Bella is now almost 7 years old and while she is completely dependent on her family for every basic need she is full of joy and love and laughter.

This is a well-written book about the challenges and joys of a special needs child.  It addresses the challenges and struggles to accept the role of a parent with a special needs child, but I believe the Santorum's have embraced their role wholeheartedly and are enjoying their little girl to the fullest. The book also describes some of Rick's campaign for Presidency, but it isn't a huge factor in the book except where it affects Bella and the responses of people when they heard about her.  I believe the Santorum's are dedicated Christians and I feel the book is a great testimony to what Christ does in a life.  To love selflessly, devotedly, and cheerfully through stress and sickness and 24 hour high-energy caring requires a Higher Power and the Strength that only comes from faith in Jesus Christ.

I would definitely recommend this book to others.  For me, it was especially interesting-- I have known parents who have had Trisomy 18 children, but I know no living Trisomy 18 children. Being a nurse and knowing the statistics, this book was especially interesting to me.  Rock on Bella!!!

This book was given to me by Book Look Bloggers for the purpose of reading and writing a review on it.  All opinions given are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

Five Lies of our Anti-Christian Age by Rosario Butterfield