No or Yes, Which are You?

I realized something this week and it's kind of bothering me. I think I'm a "No" mom. A asks me if she can do something like her water paints or play with her train, things that will make a mess or cause a fight with her brother and my reaction is "No, not now, it's too close to supper, to bed, to naptime. L will just fight with you." And on and on go my excuses. Why? I mean really, how hard would it be to let her?

So I don't want to deal with the mess, but which is actually messier, cleaning up the chocolate milk that was spilled about 20 seconds after I poured it or helping her get some water so she can paint a picture? Or how about this, letting her get out the play food box that keeps both children entertained for hours versus just saying no? Let me add this, letting her get that food box out was a great decision. I was able to sew for about 2.5 hours yesterday after their naps. That's pretty much unheard of and I was so very happy and blessed and pleased and ecstatic and I got a lot sewed. And on top of that, she actually picked up the food pieces herself without complaining, something else pretty unheard of.

So why do I say no when it can provide so many hours of fun? Sometimes, I'll be honest, and this doesn't earn me any mom awards, it's because I don't want to be bothered to stop what I'm doing and go get the project set up or the item out of the storage room, etc. Really? That's embarrassing to admit here. And sometimes it's because I'm pretty sure if I get her set up with a project that I will then have to deal with the little guy being extremely crabby and again, I don't want to stop what I'm doing to entertain him so she can do something fun. Again, I sound like a selfish mom.

So what am I trying to get at here? I want to know if you are a yes mom or a no mom. And if you are reformed no mom I would like to know any and all secrets or tips you could offer, because I want to change and do better.

I know, I'll make it a New Year's Goal because everybody keeps their New Year's Goals right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee