I'd Rather be Reading by Anne Bogel

I'D RATHER BE READING by Anne Bogel

The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life

This was a pretty gift-sized book, meaning it's smaller than your average book, filled with fun little chapters about books and reading. In many ways, I would almost call it a collection of essays, because I feel like you could pretty much pick up any chapter and read it as a stand-alone. Now maybe if I tried that, I would disagree with myself, but that is my opinion at this point. 

The chapters are short and can easily be read in just a few minutes.  There is a chapter dedicated to how to decorate your bookshelves, a chapter to quotes from the acknowledgements section of books, section Anne encourages you never to miss reading, and there's a chapter on the ways your reading style changes over time.

One of the most interesting and intriguing ideas Anne mentioned was having a library history, a way to go back and see all the books you ever borrowed from the library. I find that a fascinating idea. She does encourage everyone to keep some sort of record of the books you have read. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a way to be able to look back and remember.  One lady she knew took pictures of the books she read and then bound them into a book. I loved that idea, though I doubt that will ever happen. Chatbooks would be a great way to do that though. I have actually kept records of the books I've read over the last five or so years, I think, at least if I still have the book. Now I keep track on Goodreads and have recently started a book journal as well for the books I read on paper.

I just loved this book and it has challenged me to broaden my reading. I love to read, but tend to stick with the same types of books. Now this book, along with a couple other books I've read recently, challenge me to go explore the classics, to branch out and try some books I would ordinarily stay away from. It's on my to process list for goals for 2019.

One quote from the book: "If my real life reminds me of something I read in a book, I'm reading well - and I'm probably living well too." It's an interesting thought.

I received this book from Baker Books and was not required to write a positive review.

For more information on Anne and to see the books she recommends go to Modern Mrs Darcy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee