A Rebel Heart by Beth White

A Rebel Heart by Beth White

Part of the Daughtry House Series

This is the first book I've read by Beth White, at least that I remember. I will be looking for the next books in this series.

The book takes place about five years after the Civil War in a small town in Mississippi. Selah, the heroine of the story, had come to an anti-slavery viewpoint before the war even started, which is a nice little side note that doesn't hugely matter, but I found interesting.

I enjoyed reading the book. It's a fairly typical girl meets boy story, but there is an element of intrigue involved, like the first meeting taking place at the scene of a train crash where their car is suspended above a ravine in a rather precarious position.

I like Beth's style of writing. She uses some rather large words that I don't even really know what they mean except in the context of how they were used, but I liked that. I will say the story felt a little disjointed maybe. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the pieces of the puzzle seemed to be from a couple different puzzles. I couldn't totally follow how all the different things happening really fit together to make sense at the end. I'm gonna guess that the next person who reads it through may not notice anything like that. It's just my opinion of the book.

I did like Selah's personality, at least in a book!!  She was rather headstrong, determined, stubborn, and a take charge kind of person who was also very loyal to her family. She wasn't afraid to say what needed to be said which is so interesting in a book, but sometimes not so fun in real life.

I look forward to the rest of the series and seeing what else take place at Daughtry House.

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee