Under a Cloudless Sky by Chris Fabry

Under A Cloudless Sky

Chris Fabry is an author whose writings I scarf up every chance I get. He is definitely on my list of top ten authors to read. That poses an interesting thought: who else would I put on my top ten list? Anyway, that's for another time and place.

It seems like a lot of Chris' books take place in West Virginia and this one is no different. The story goes back and forth between the year 1933 and 2004. It chronicles the unlikely friendship of two young girls, one the daughter of the mine owner and the other the coal miner's daughter.

It's a story of sacrificial love, truly laying one's life down for the sake of a friend. It's a story of forgiveness, forgiving yourself for what you have done. It's a story of learning to love well, the main character's children tended to be a bit over protective, basically in an effort not to inconvenience themselves. It's a story of how the truth can set you free and even set others free.

I don't want to say a lot more because I don't want to spoil the story. Let's just say there are some unexpected plot twists that I didn't see coming until just before they happened and which added an excellent dimension to the story.

While the story is not true, I think it certainly could be. A few things that sparked the story: a picture of Chris' dad and uncle in front of a coal mine, the fact that his mother refused to go back to where she grew up in West Virginia and the fear they had for their mother to drive as she got older. There were also some rumors about abuse that occurred in some mining communities. While the veracity of such claims has been challenged, it certainly seems believable. And the last thing that contributed to this story is Chris' radio show and how older people will confide long held secrets and the relief they feel once they share those things.

If you ever have a chance to pick up a Chris Fabry book, do it. I have read at least nine of his books, I believe and every one of them have been worth picking up.  So make that your New Year's Resolution to read at least one of his books this year. As far as a favorite? I'm not sure. Not in the Heart was my first introduction to his books I believe and it was excellent. War Room is the book equivalent to the movie, also really good. Borders of the Heart is probably my least favorite, that might be easier than trying to decide my favorite.

Anyway, I received this book from Tyndale and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

Five Lies of our Anti-Christian Age by Rosario Butterfield