Savor Life - One Sip at a Time

We had a really good message on Sunday. Now to clarify, we have a lot of really good messages, but this one hit home to me for a few reasons. One, there was a piece in there that reflects how I am trying to live my life and two, our pastor used one of my favorite songs, a song that has reduced me to tears in the last few years.

"We have this moment to hold in our hands and to touch as it slips through our fingers like sand.
Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come, but we have this moment today.

"Tiny voice that I hear is my little girl calling for her daddy to hear just what she has to say...."
That phrase right there would often bring the tears on. I was singing it the other day and Amber wondered why I was singing about her daddy. So the song has bittersweet memories for me anymore.

The gist of that section of the message was to savor life.  Enjoy it, drink that cup of coffee, let it warm your hands and your soul.  Ah, I can relate to this and preferably drink it out of your favorite coffee cup. And if you don't have a favorite, it's time to get one. A few months back, my favorite cup met its demise at the hands of my stubbornness (and I have the carpet stains to remind me), and so the thrift store met my needs with the above pictured cup that I really like. Coffee just tastes better in your favorite cup.

And then a friend and I were talking after church: what about savoring those dark moments? Like when the kids are puking or misbehaving, or your fragile grip on reality is slipping away, or your baby doesn't live to see this earth? How do we savor those moments? Are we supposed to? I think of Dorcas Smucker and how she saw a picture of when her kids all had the chicken pox and it made her a bit nostalgic. I only have two children and can't imagine feeling nostalgic about something like that ever!!! :) :)

Or today for instance, when the man of the house is off to the dentist and is dreading it? How do you savor that? Well, I don't know about him, but I'm savoring it by getting to spend the day with him sans kids. Thank you mom!!

I don't have all the answers. My next blog post is going to talk a little bit about savoring the memories of sad events in life.  My thought is if we can "savor" the bad moments as well as the good, we will be well-rounded. I don't think you have to enjoy the bad stuff, the sickness, etc. but it is part of who you are and it does define you. If I am savoring the good memories and giving thanks for them, won't it help my frame of mind when the bad stuff comes? Won't my attitude of gratitude help me "automatically" look for the good amidst the bad? The extra unusual cuddles in a day when nothing else gets done? The joy of knowing your little one is safe with Jesus despite your empty aching arms?

And now I'm off for a day long date with the man sandwiched between two less than joyful events for him!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

April Reads

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee