Monday, January 2, 2017

Goals or Resolutions--Is there a Difference?

I love setting goals. Last year, I went a little crazy and maybe got about half or so of them accomplished. I didn't actually count them up. But it was good, I enjoyed working towards them.

This year I tried to use a bit more common sense with it all and have set a few less goals, I think. There are a few main areas I want to focus on: my relationship with God, especially improving my prayer life, my marriage, and my daughter. Then of course, there are the personal goals of exercising, hobbies, etc. and a few other things as well. But those don't rank with quite the importance that the three I mentioned do.

Last year I chose a word for the year: joy. I made the letters out of cardboard, wrapped them in string, hung them up and then mostly forgot about joy. This year I have another word and I am hoping to do a bit better at remembering it and observing it. This year my word is intention. I want to make the most of my life, I want to savor the little moments, treasure the memories.

I can make myself feel old, but Amber is growing up so fast and I want to savor the time now. She is passionate and energetic, lively and chatty, and to be honest sometimes by the end of the day, I am tired. She is mostly well-behaved, but an attention span of about ten seconds can leave a trail of debris in her wake. If I am sewing, then she wants to sit on the desk right beside the sewing machine. If I am washing dishes, she wants to help too. She plays in the water rinses, "dries" the silverware and puts it away. If I go upstairs, she goes upstairs, etc. etc. But I am loving this stage and I want to use it as a training ground. I want to talk to her, include her as much as possible in what I'm doing, and just make learning and work a part of everyday happenings and make it fun as well. But it does take intention on my part, a remembering of what I want to instill in her, a patience to take the time to teach her and train her. So doing a few fun things together is on my list for the year. I was going to be lofty and try to do "craft projects" with her and then realized that that was pretty much doomed to failure. I don't have the patience for that and I don't know that I want to cultivate that kind of patience either. Kudos to all you super moms out there.

Intentional devotions is another area I want to work on this year, along with intentionally cultivating my marriage. Reading I Corinthians 13 once a week, choosing first a challenge from Becky Thompson's book "Love Unending" and then a kindness challenge from Shaunti Feldhahn's book "The Kindness Challenge" there will be 52 challenges for 52 weeks. I want to talk about them here on the blog, a week at a time. Doing a deeper study of the Beatitudes will constitute another day of the week and then three more days to go through a Bible Study Book with the Sunday School lesson being reserved for the weekends. I hope it's not too many diverse things that it feels scattered. I read through the Bible last year and while I feel accomplished for having done that, I feel like I mostly just read like crazy and didn't really comprehend or let it sink it. So this year I want to choose with intention, read with intention, and let it soak and ruminate and grow from it.

Those are my goals and I hope they have a lot more chance of success than resolutions. Yesterday, in church, the pastor mentioned that resolutions have an 8% chance of being kept at the three-month-mark. That's not a very good ratio, so that's why I have chosen goals instead of resolutions. So much loftier of course!!!! :) :) :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be the Gift by Ann Voskamp

Let your brokenness be turned into abundance Broken, something none of us like to be, but if we want to love and live and love and live ...