The Beginning of 2015

It always feels a little awkward to start writing the date for the new year.  It seems to take a big to get used to it and yet as I said yesterday, a new year feels so well NEW!!!  A fresh page, a brand-new start, dreams and goals all open and exciting.

So, what about resolutions, schmezolutions?  Do you do them?  Or do you laugh at people who do and make bets about how long it will be before they break them?  If you do make resolutions, are you a staunch, write-it-down-post-it-on-the-fridge sort of person or is it just kind of a general idea that you would like to pursue in the new year.

Me?  I think I've done a little of each.  Never posted them on the fridge though.  That would be going to far for me-- maybe in my daily planner.

To be honest, I didn't think a lot about resolutions until I wrote yesterday's post and realized it's that time of year.  One resolution that I think would be good for everyone will be posted in my next blog post which is coming right after this--in a book review no less.

I have some goals for 2015: have a baby, figure out what a new normal for life is like and feel good again.  I know that sounds selfish and whiny and egocentric, but that's kind of at the top of my list right now.  Along with that are things like going back to work, cooking and baking and cleaning again and tackling a long list of hobbies and projects that have been waiting in the shadows tempting and enticing me.

That was all pretty vague and noncomittal and that's probably what my resolutions are going to look like this year.  There are a few though I want to commit to--one being to follow through on Ann Voskamp's 1000 gifts journal idea.  I did it two years ago and tried last year and just stalled out, but I want to do that again this year.

For this blog?  I don't know how many of you read my book reviews, but I love getting brand-new, newly published books for free in the mail.  My punishment?  I have to write a review on them and post them on my blog.  Having a blog that is regularly updated is a prerequisite for getting these free books.  And like a sucker I just signed up for two new blog review programs, bringing my number to four companies I review for.  To say I'm pumped about this is no understatement, but I do sort of dread the thought of writing all those reviews.  But from those two new companies I am getting the book "Love without Limits" by Nick Vic??? however you spell his last name.  He's the man without arms and legs and it's his love story.  Also, I'm getting a Berenstain Bear book.  Now, I know there is a lot of controversy about these books, but I have loved them from little up and we didn't have them at home, but more on that when I write my review after I get the book in the mail.  In the meantime, I have 4 books waiting on me and only one is read so far.

But back to my blog, I am determined to dig out of these books things that I can learn from and share with all of you--lessons learned even from the fiction books.  I will be honest, I tend toward fiction if I don't recognize the authors and have the option.  I can get a little gun shy of devotional, inspirational books written by people I don't know and haven't heard recommendations for because of the risk of teaching that is contrary to my beliefs.  I do get one nonfiction a month from Bethany House and I try to read it carefully.  Along with my book reviews, I am hoping to add other posts as well.  I keep wondering if there is a certain direction I should go with my blog: should I start posting food?  Sewing projects? DIY projects, which would mean my blog would remain pretty much empty. Relationships?  Etc. etc. I think I will keep it random. I like not being restricted by what my blog is supposed to do or say.  Hey, it's my blog, my privilege right?

So what other resolutions and goals should I have?  I don't know and quite frankly I'm not sure how much I care.  For the month of January, sewing is my biggest goal and getting the necessities for hosting a baby in the house.  The other thing I keep toying with in my head is writing some posts about Gary Chapman's book "The Five Love Languages."  I'm reading it right now and think it's a fascinating topic and one I need to be reminded of now and again, but I'm not sure I consider myself enough of an expert in relationships to even begin to tackle it, but hey that's what can make a blog interesting right?  I'll continue to ponder it.

But now, on to what I consider a big and monumental resolution.........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

Five Lies of our Anti-Christian Age by Rosario Butterfield