A Word Fitly Spoken

I got a birthday card on Sunday. I don't remember what all it said, but I remember this: there was a comment about being a mom and then this phrase, "You're doing a good job." And then I cried. How did this friend know I so needed to hear those words? Though the card had been written earlier, did she see the tears that were threatening as the church service wound to a close and my mom heart was in shreds as I felt like such a failure? I mean, really, who can't control their three-year-old for a two hour church service?

Then, in the afternoon, I was listening to a new favorite podcast, Coffee and Crumbs . (Just to clarify, I use new favorite loosely, I pretty find a podcast that I like and then try to listen to a whole bunch of them, often starting back at the beginning, and then life happens and they move off my radar and it might be months before I even listen to another podcast) The episode was called It's Their Day Too and the gist of the conversation (in my own words and added thoughts) was that, on those days when mothering feels like a practice in futility, when you are running around getting nothing done, to stop and consider something. What did your children get to experience today? What did they learn? Did they learn to share? Did they learn to forgive? Did they get some extra stories read or some play time with you, their Mom? If they did, then they had a really good day. If my children are fed and healthy and happy at the end of the day, they had a good day and I need to relax into that and believe that I am doing an okay job, even if supper is cereal and the living room is beginning to make me claustrophobic. Life isn't just about me and if I'm having a good day, my children are important as well. It just hit me when I heard this Sunday afternoon.

These two things came on the heels of a couple hard days. Late nights, early mornings, being gone, etc. wears on the mom of the household pretty quick and wears her thin. And that's not good. But these words were balm to my soul. I will make it, I can make it, I can do it. But I can't do it alone.

Last night, we had a chorale at church and they sang two songs that really touched me. (Let's face it, it was two of the very few songs I actually just sat and drank in rather than being distracted and unfocused.) The first one was "We come, we watch, we wait, we look, we long for you." (I'm missing a phrase there, but my program is in my diaper bag, which is in my children's room, and they are sleeping.) This longing just captured my heart. The other song talked about loneliness and it too spoke to a piece of my soul that was dry and thirsty.

So the lesson in here for me is never doubt what a few words can do. You don't know when someone needs a piece of encouragement, but God does and if He prompts you to share something, do. Don't stop and question, just take action. You have no idea how deeply you may bless another person.

(This is the first of four drafts that are sitting and waiting for me to write them. I am going to try to get them on here over the next couple of weeks. Life looks a little crazy this summer, so I make no promises, but I really do want to do more writing on here. I want to practice, practice, practice and hopefully improve as well. So, if you want to encourage someone and are not sure who to encourage, I'll take all the encouragement I can this summer!! :) :) )

Comments

  1. I love reading your words! Thanks for sharing. Galatians 6:9 is my mothering key verse right now

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

Five Lies of our Anti-Christian Age by Rosario Butterfield