Mothering by the Book by Jennifer Pepito

 


The Power of Reading Aloud to Overcome Fear and Recapture Joy

I'm interested in any book that talks about books. I can spend as much time reading about books as I can actually reading books. So, I really enjoyed this book. Jennifer explained well what I have tried to do in my own reading life, though I think she does a much better job of it than I do. There are so many opinions out there of what books you should read or what books are helpful, etc and my goal is to learn something from every book I read. Do I always accomplish this? No, I don't and some books do seem to be pure fluff, but most books can teach you something. 

Jennifer showed how different books she was reading aloud to her children helped her in an area of her life where she was very fearful. For example, reading The Railway Children helped her to realize that, even in the midst of hard things, by living for a greater purpose and living with a clear vision can help to overcome the fear of expectations and struggles. Or in Little Britches, Jennifer learned how that giving thanks for everything can help to overcome the fear of never having enough. 

Each main chapter of the book has a literature companion book to go with it and that book was a part of the journey to helping her overcome an area of fear. Not only that, at the end of the chapter, there was a list of more books for both children and mothers to read. 

So not only was my TBR lengthened, but it was also good to be reminded of how much good literature can do for us in helping us on our own journeys of life, but to do that I must read with an open mind, with a searching mind. Not reading to accept everything I read, but lining it up with Scripture and what I know is truth and then learning from that. 

I really enjoyed this book and look forward to continuing the adventure of learning through literature in future books that I read.

I received this book from Bethany House and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche