Beneath the Bending Skies by Jane Kirkpatrick

 

This has got to be one of the best books I've ready by Jane Kirkpatrick. I try to read as many of her books as I can as they come out because I enjoy the historical aspect of them. I learn about women I would never even have heard of without reading her books.

This is the story of Mollie Sheehan and her husband's work among the Indians. 

It starts out with her childhood. Her father had a definite grief disorder and couldn't bear to part with Mollie as she grew older. This led to some real struggles on Mollie's part, but I had to admire Mollie's respect of her father even though he was super stubborn and obstinate and unreasonable. 

I also really enjoyed reading about positive Indian and white relations. So often we hear about the wars and the condescension toward the Indians, so this was very interesting to read about the positive interactions where they treated each other as equals and tried to embrace the American Indians with their culture rather than trying to rid them of it.

I was also inspired by Mollie's ceaseless hospitality. Her door was always open and she had a constant stream of visitors coming through their house. She served them well and tried always to be respectful of the various cultures.  Yes, she made some big blunders, but I think her attitude of trying help to override those mistakes.

I really enjoyed this book. I received it as a review from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche