The Girls' Guide to Conquering Life by Erica and Jonathan Catherman

The Girls' Guide to Conquering Life: How to Ace an Interview, Change a Tire, Talk to a Guy, and 97รข€¦

How to Ace an Interview, Change a tire, Talk to a guy and 97 other skills you need to thrive

I think this book is intended for teenagers to low 20's, at least there seemed to be some parts that included high school yet. It is a big how-to book covering ten different categories: clothes and fashion, sports, food, guys and dating, wealth and management, social skills and so on. It covers some very basic things like how-to wash your hands, how-to shake hands, how-to set a table. It also covers some more in depth things like how-to change a flat tire, how-to respond after an accident, how-to pitch a softball, and how to oven-bake a whole chicken.

It is all written up in step by step fashion. The beginning of each section has a small article giving some more advice or information and there are tidbits of info scattered throughout the book, along with some fact or fiction information as well. It's kind of a fun book, although I have to admit to not reading the whole book. There were just too many how-to's back to back to sit down and read, I finally resorted to skipping through them and then didn't even get to the back sections yet.

The pros to the book are there are some good instructions in them, some things that it would be good for girls to know how to do like changing a tire, I read through those instructions. It would be a useful book to have around if you were unsure about something, it could make a great reference guide.

Some cons for me is that the section on guys and dating focused on the girl asking the guy out, very casual dating, but to me the emphasis was on the girl taking the lead and I wasn't okay with that at all. Also, I felt some of the instructions were a little too basic. I mean maybe some of these things are really a big deal and girls don't know how to do them, but shaking hands? I don't recall ever being given instructions about shaking hands or even needing a step by step guide on how to do them.  But maybe I shake hands all wrong too, who knows?

Overall, I think this is a fun book and could make a fun gift for a teen girl. I think there are some definitely good pieces of advice and instruction in here, but also some that should be disregarded.

I received this book from Revell Books and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee

PRECIOUS CHILD