The Last Girl by Nadia Murad

The Last Girl: My Story Of Captivity, And My Fight Against The Islamic State by Nadia Murad

My Story of Captivity, and my Fight Against the Islamic State

At the risk of exposing my ignorance on world events, I don't recall ever hearing about the Yazidis until I read this book. As best as I can understand them, they are/were a minority religious group in Iraq. They were viewed by ISIS as less than the least and completely expendable and mere property.

This book has a bit of the history of the people of Kocho and the story of Nadia and the genocide of the Yazidis by ISIS. It's an awful story of men being killed and women being taken as sex slaves and viewed as property nothing more.

It blows my mind how someone could use another human being in this way, but I don't doubt the accuracy of the story at all. From what I have understood of ISIS, I can believe they would treat women this way.

This is Nadia's story of her capture, escape and her current work as a human rights activist and also working to bring those men to trial.

Why the title? Because she wants to be the last girl who has to tell a story like that. It has only happened three years ago, so much remains to be seen if these cruel men will actually be brought to trial. I also hope that Nadia is able to find peace and forgiveness for these men as well. While in her religion, she believes in God, I don't think her God is able to offer her the peace that comes from a surrender to the true God.

This is a good, but horrifying book. I wouldn't recommend it to too young of readers. Nadia is not graphic in what she goes through and yet she is very honest and the honesty is brutal.

I received this book from Blogging for Books and was not required to write a positive review.

And I want to make clear that this book is not written from a Christian perspective. I just want to state that since most of my books that I review have a Christian world view. I think this book still has much to teach us about being willing to risk our comfort and safety to help others, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee