I Need a Pacifier

Yes, you read that right. I think I need to go on a search for an adult pacifier. You know you used to be able to get those candy pacifiers-- I don't know if you still can or not. I think one like that would work, but preferably more of a sea salt caramel and chocolate flavor rather than just hard candy.

Why do I want one, you may wonder or you may just conclude that I needed something off the wall for a blog post and came up with this idea. Both could be true, but here's is what made me think of it.

Earlier this week, Amber was having a rough evening of it. She had only taken a half hour afternoon nap and was just crabby. I was trying to make supper and she was crying unless I was holding her. It's really hard to stir stir-fry in a wok with a baby in one arm because of the whole heat aspect of it. So finally out of exasperation, I decided we were going to leave supper where it was and we were going to go upstairs and take a nap before we even attempted eating.  You have to understand two things about Amber and napping. For Amber, napping is equated with getting her pacifier and her blanket--both are sure to elicit happy sounds, but the blanket for sure. No other time does her blanket mean so much to her as when she's ready to climb into bed. So we got those two items and settled down in the rocking chair.

After a few minutes and a little struggle, Amber fell asleep, I thought. Every time I moved her eyes would pop open and about two to five minutes later, she was done sleeping, but voila! she was happy again. We went back downstairs leaving blanket and pacifier upstairs and she was a different girl for the rest of the evening.

So you see, I thought maybe that would work for adults as well: a blanket, a pacifier (disguised as chocolate) and a little rest and maybe, just maybe the world would like all different again.

Then I read this verse this morning in my reading and it said to this effect, "My Presence will go with you and I will give you rest." Now that's the perfect kind of time out-- to rest in God and allow Him to go with us and to meet our needs.

May you have a restful week.

Joy moments for the week: I must get better at remembering to take pictures.
- Amber's only word so far, "Oh" when she drops things which she has started to do with abandon
- Watching her and her daddy play together. This never ceases to make me happy, partly because I love that she loves her daddy and partly because it means I can be sitting on the couch doing my own thing while she is happily playing
- Getting my sewing machine back and putting it to good use.
- Finishing part of Amber's birthday present. I will try to post pictures of it next week. I'm quite tickled with how they turned out, so stay tuned. If you are looking for a nice birthday present for a little person, I would be happy to make more of them to sell to you. Is your interest piqued yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

April Reads

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee