It's Father's Day

I know Father's Day isn't toted around like Mother's Day, but it is a special day nonetheless and I wonder if Dad's wouldn't feel more loved and respected if we wouldn't make a bigger deal out of it. Or maybe I've had my head in the sand all these years and it really is a big deal.

But today is Father's Day and you know that saying: "You don't fully appreciate what you have until it's gone."? That's how I'm feeling today.  Actually I'm not sure I'm even feeling at all, but if I could feel I think that is how I would feel.  I didn't buy my father-in-law a Father's Day card this year; I told D if he wanted to send him one, he needed to go pick it out. I did get Amber's Daddy a Father's Day card (Ssshhh don't tell, he hasn't gotten it yet), but I went and only looked at the kiddy looking cards. I didn't want to see any nice flowery words that gave great attributes to a great Dad.  Wasn't into that.

 So this is my tribute to my Dad.  We miss you!!! You were quiet and rarely had a lot to say, but you were there. Your truck sat out in the driveway every night--a symbol of security, though we didn't think about it at the time.  Now, when I come over it sits in the grass with a "For Sale" sign on and it breaks my heart. I'm ready for it to be gone. Though I think in some ways the For Sale sign is easier than it sitting in the driveway and it appearing as though you are home when you aren't. You are finally TRULY HOME!!!!  You never said a lot, but we always knew you were going to come home every night. We never wondered if this was going to be the night you made a break for it and left all of us alone and destitute.  Yes, you have gone now and left us alone and feeling destitute, but you have left us with pride and dignity. We can hold our heads high when we go to town because Amos Mast is a name well-known and respected. Integrity and honesty are words associated with your name and that is the best legacy ever. So Dad, you are now at rest and we are trying to pick up the pieces and take care of Mom and move on. I don't know if you had any premonition or not when you told us the morning of your surgery to take care of Mom, but we are doing our best, though I think we might be smothering her a bit :) :) But to you, with more sincerity than ever: HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!

And to Nicole and Amber's Daddy, I wish you a Happy Father's Day from them through me.  You held the title of Daddy long before there was a little girl that grinned her toothless grin at you and chatted with you about your day, but now you can enjoy the benefits that go with that name.  It's been fun watching you be a dad and you make a really, really good one.  You have put up with so much in the last two years and currently in the last two months. I haven't been the wife that you as a husband and Dad deserve, but you have stood with me as I've fought whatever black hole has threatened to devour me. You have washed more dishes than you should have, lived through more depressing evenings that you ever want to repeat, and you have held on. I don't often make public tributes to you because I think it's cheesy, but you ARE THE BEST!!  And Amber is starting to realize that as well!!! Praise the Lord!!!  As I watched last night as you told her the story of the Five Loaves and Two Fishes and she drank it all in, I was blessed. To raise our daughter for Jesus is our heart's desire and I know it needs to begin now. 

And if Nicole could be here with us, I know she would be a Daddy's girl!!  I can try and imagine as the verse says, "Little voice that I hear is my little girl calling for her Daddy to hear just what she has to say" and while it can make me cry I just try to imagine the day when we will hear Nicole calling for her Daddy but in the meantime she is enjoying Father's Day with Grandpa. And to you from Amber: HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!

It's sad really, Nicole doesn't know Grandpa Glick and Amber doesn't know Grandpa Mast.


And last but not least to my father-in-law. No, these obviously aren't my children. I have a picture of you holding Amber, but I am too lazy to go dig it out of my camera. This is such a great picture though, you being surrounded by some of your grandsons.  You are delighted with each new grand child that comes along. It was fun to see you come out to the car Monday night and be so eager to greet the newest granddaughter.  She's going to love you; after all you are the only Grandpa she is going to know.

You are a great father as well; you have raised an amazing son who speaks highly of you. You have accepted me as a daughter-in-law and treat me as one of the family even though I know I do things differently than you do. I appreciate your acceptance and can learn from it for myself. Even though it's a LONG drive to come see, we always enjoy our times together. So to you as well, even though I doubt you will ever read this: HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

Five Lies of our Anti-Christian Age by Rosario Butterfield