Miracle in a Dry Season

This book was given to me by Bethany House for the purpose of writing a review about it.


 Miracle in a Dry Season by Sarah Loudin Thomas

I'm really not sure what I want to say about this book.  I don't know if I really know what I think about this book. It was interesting and yet rather different; well-written and yet too simple.  Let me try and explain.  I would give Sarah credit as a good author with the ability to use language in a way that writes a vivid story line, but some of the events seemed too unbelievable.  Yes, I know it's fiction and you can do what you want with fiction, but I still like it to be a little real to life.

Okay, now I think I'm confusing everyone, myself included, so I'll just say some of the things I liked and didn't like about the book.

It's a nice story; an unwed lady comes to town with her 5 year old daughter and a 35 year old bachelor slowly falls in love with her after her overcame his judgment of her and her illegitimate child.  The town talks about this lady and makes rumors about her and in general doesn't accept her.  She also has this "gift" of making food stretch as far as it is needed and this kind of freaks people out and they think she is a witch.  The pastor goes right along with the witch theory and basically preaches against her.  Eventually, he decides to deal with her, except his "dealing" with her is to make a pass at her.  This falls short when the bachelor's dying father hurls a block of wood at the pastor.

So, one thing I don't like is this "gift" of making food stretch.  I do believe in miracles, but this just seems a little weird.  Another thing I don't like is this drought.  The drought seems to start very suddenly and it seems like almost immediately everything dries up and the crops fail and people run out of food.  I don't know a lot about droughts, but it just seemed to sudden to be believable.  It also ended very suddenly and I realize that droughts can end that fast, but they had one afternoon of rain (I don't know how much) and suddenly the gardens can be planted and the fields green up, etc. etc.  

So, in saying all that, I wouldn't be opposed to reading another of Sarah's books, but I guess I would look for a little more story to them, a little more suspense and realism to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche