Miscellaneous Thoughts and a Good Book Suggestion

I just found this post.  It somehow got saved under drafts rather than published, so it's a few weeks outdated. 


This came in the mail this week.  I don't know if you can see it all, but there are four books, a journal, some note cards, a pack of dry-erase markers, shampoo & conditioner, brownie mix, dried apricots, fruit straws, 2 kinds of tea, 3 microfiber sponges, flax seeds, some samples, little note paper, $50 gift card to Red Robin, $5 gift card to Starbucks, instant coffee, ginger-orange marmalade, and a few other things I probably missed.

I won the July Extravaganza Give-Away from moneysavingmom.com .  It feels like such a gift from God--like He knew the odds of me really winning were very small, but He also knew that it would be a big boost to my somewhat stressful week and so He picked me to win.  I really like that thought. It makes God feel like such a personal caring God, which I know He is.

If you are looking for some good summer reading, allow me to recommend A Heart for Freedom by Chai Ling.  It's quite a good book.  She was one of the student leaders during the Tiananmen Square Massacre back in 1989.  I was really clueless about that whole thing until I read this book.  I am not quite finished with it yet (have a couple chapters left), but I have really enjoyed it.  The purpose of the protest by the students was to try and bring about a little democracy.  It was never meant to turn violent and certainly wasn't intended to bring about the massacre that it did.  The students didn't fight back as they left the Square, but the tanks rolled over them anyway.  It tells her story of coming to America, becoming a Christian and then founding an organization to put a stop to the One-child policy and the gendercide prevalent in China and even India and other countries.  It was very eye-opening and very interesting and easy to read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

April Reads

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee