A Home for My Heart by Anne Mateer

Okay, here goes.  I don't know that I am the best book reviewer ever, but I do love to read and I do enjoy finding new authors.

I think this was the first book I have ever read by Anne and I think I would read more of her books.  It was a pretty typical Christian romance in which hero and heroine are in love, then have a fallout from irreconcilable differences, and then of course in the end, they both are willing to sacrifice and fall back in love and live happily ever after.

However, I will say that the development of Sadie Sillsby, the main character, was well done.  At the beginning of the book, Sadie was the assistant matron at the Raystown Home.  This was a home for abandoned or orphaned children or as a temporary home for children whose parents were in a financial hardship and couldn't afford to raise their children.  Her dream was to become matron which she does shortly into the book.  But, as it turns out, she really doesn't have the makings of a matron--she has no head for numbers, misses working with the children and makes a poor decision of who to hire for her assistant. Her whole goal for becoming matron was to override her past.  She had been brought to the Home as a little girl; rescued from prison where she had been living with her mother who was in jail for being a prostitute.  She wanted to prove to the world that she could be something regardless of what her mother had been.  She needed to go through being a matron to realize that her worth was not in what she did, but in who she was and in believing in Jesus for her value and not the world's recommendations and standards.

So overall, I did the think the book was well-written.  It was definitely a light and fluffy read, but a good reminder that it is more important to BE who God created us to be, then to DO to please the world and make a good impression.  That is bound for failure eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee

PRECIOUS CHILD