Rain

I try to be a fairly upbeat person, but when I come out to the kitchen at 5:00 in the morning and step in a puddle of water that is running in a straight line clear across my kitchen and can be traced under the freezer and then turns and goes along the trim to the door. If you lift the rug, you will find a well soaked and soppy floor. Oh and the newspaper that the tomatoes are laying on has the well-sogged look of wet newspaper. Then we go outside and our ditch is clear full of water and running down into the next ditch, which is running into the next ditch and so on until it reaches the culvert where it runs under the road. The area outside the door of the calf barn is a pool of water which requires strategic arrangement of the door, the truck door and the feet to prevent a foot soaking.

Fast forward an hour and a half: we are returning from chores; the water has gone down considerably in the ditches, but alas a peak into the barn shows the poor calves are up to their shins in water. Now, I don't really know where the shins are on a calf, but you get the idea. But the fans had dried off the floor nicely and all things proceeded as they had been from the beginning of....whenever.

The rain gauge said 3 and 3/4 inches and the rain continues to fall; an estimated 2 and 1/2 inches for today. I am thinking of putting pontoon wheels under the trailer, but I am not sure if we will get flooded out by the water rising so high or by it coming in at all conceivable crevices. To make it worse, I am still harboring this secret fear that I will wake up one morning under the trailer due to the floor completely rotting through under my bed. It wouldn't be so bad if there wouldn't be mice under the trailer. There are a few less than there had been, because they have been venturing up to the upside of the floor and getting their noses caught in some very efficient peanut butter traps. I think that ends the journey for all good mice; at least I haven't seen any further evidence of them.

I was going to clean house this evening; I still must clean up my poor kitchen floor that has a rug turned upside down on it, but I may chicken out and just nestle up with a book in a corner somewhere. Or maybe I will be industious. Who will know?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee