The Way of the Brave by Susan May Warren

The Way of the Brave

Susan May Warren really redeemed herself in this book. The first books I read from her were based on the Christiansen family in Deep Haven and I loved the family thread that ran through the books. Then I read a few others of her and I just wasn't that impressed. And I'm not really sure what made me try another one, but I requested this one and it was worth it.

Yes, there is romance, but to me, it is more understated than in some of her books. Each character has so much baggage to work through and that is more the part that shines through.

I did decide after reading this that I will not be doing any mountain climbing anytime in the near future. I didn't understand half the terms involved with attempting to climb Mount Denali, but I do understand terms like "Falling" and know that I don't want to be using such vocabulary when there is nothing beneath my feet.

She also ends the book on a cliff hanger and then to really add to it, includes the first chapter of her next book. So yeah, I will be looking forward to reading that book as well. It comes out in June.

I'm not sure why this book resonated with me more than her last series. Jenny is a likable, determined, independent psychologist specializing in PTSD while not being at peace with her own past. Orion is also fighting his past and dealing with by hiding away so he can conceal his anger. Both of them have to realize that Jesus is the only one who can truly help them heal.

There were a few good quotes at the end of the book that I want to leave you with. These are quotes that I need in my own life, to remind me of what matters.

"We don't stop living life just because bad things can, or will, happen. We just keep going forward, trusting in God's plan for us, even if bad things happen. God is still there, still in control. Still saving us. Still protecting us." That first line really stuck out to me. Too often I want to leave safely because of the what-ifs.

"Because love causes all sorts of pain. It requires us to believe, and forgive, and put aside our own justice and our own desires. Love is painful - especially when you think you might lose that love. Or cause hurt to someone you love. Or even be required to love someone who has hurt you. But it's worth it. Love changes you. Love makes you brave. Love can change the world."  Another true thought and I believe this can apply to many areas of life. To reach out to touch another life is a risk, but it can also become a beautiful thing,.

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche