On Goals, Resolutions, and Words of the Year

So how many make New Year's Resolutions?

How many keep them?

I don't make resolutions, at least that's not what I call them. I make goals, generally a long, long list of lofty goals that I'm fully prepared to keep, but then kind of forget about them except for the occasional glimpse I get now and then at the list.

But this year, this year will be different. Of course, it will be. That's what everyone says every year. I do actually have a bit of a better plan in place this year. For one, I tried not to go all out like I have some years. I tried to keep the goals a bit smaller because I know this year could be really busy, but I'm also trying to keep much closer tabs on my goals and setting smaller ones that will add up to the big ones, if that makes sense.

For instance, in my reading life, I want to read 8 classics or otherwise scary titles that seem lofty and above me, I want to read 12 books I already own or have borrowed, 12 Newberry Award or honor books, and 12 books that I borrow from the library. And so I have made a list of which books to read in which month, yes I'm nerdy like that!!  You don't even want to know the full extent of my nerdiness when it comes to books, trust me!!  And yes, I know Newberry Medals are for children's books, but I want to have some good options for my children, of course. Does it matter that they won't read for another three years? No, not to me it doesn't. I think I might also have 12 chapter books that I want to read to Amber this year as well, but that isn't really written down anywhere.

Goals like this just make me so happy and fulfilled. The one problem I have is it doesn't bother me like it should if I don't accomplish my goals, but I'm determined to do a bit better at that this year.

And then there is the required word of the year: I mean are you even a real live, well-functioning human being if you don't have a word for the year?  I have chosen a word the last few years, but again, I chose it, did a bit with it and then forgot about it. So I wasn't going to do it this year, but it niggled at me a bit that I didn't. I mean could I be a real live functioning adult in 2019 if I didn't have a Word?

So I've picked a word: SUCCESS!!  Yep, I said it. And you are all now thinking how ridiculous, you already go over the top in goals, you have two children, what exactly is going to determine success to you? And I think that's why I chose it. I want the reminder.

I am a doer, I like to have something to show at the end of my day. Monday, I did laundry and put it all nice and clean back in the drawers. Tuesday, I went to Mom's, where we cut out a quilt. Wednesday, I did some sewing, washed the shower curtain, and today I did three pages on Amber's baby scrapbook. I like the visual. I want to see what I have gotten done. That is success to me.  But this word reminds me that there is so much more in my life. What about the books I read, the apples we counted with, the hugs and kisses I gave, the diapers I changed, the dishes I washed and rewashed and washed again, the laughter I joined in on? To come to the end of the day and have two happy children who feel loved, is that not the greater meaning of success?

And so I have chosen success as my word for the year because I want to be reminded that success is not determined only by the external, by the visible accomplishments, though that is part of it, but by the unseen things that happen every day as part and parcel of being a mom.  If I can remember that, then this year, 2019, will be a smashing success.

And soon, I hope to start with a repeating series called Taking Stock. This will talk about things I am making, drinking, listening, hoping, and so on and so forth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche