When I Close My Eyes by Elizabeth Musser

 


Depression. That is a word we hear about quite a bit and we all have an opinion on, but also a word we whisper about and are ashamed to admit we might struggle with it. Enter this book, the story of a courageous woman's fight against depression and its demons. This is a fight that she almost loses, but yet emerges at the end, a different, but better person who has finally been able to recognize God's love and forgiveness in her own life. This is the story of Josephine, a beautiful author and child of God, who writes beautifully about God's grace and redemption and forgiveness and yet struggles to embrace it all for herself.  It's the story of Henry who must seek for that forgiveness.

It also feels like a personal story for the author herself. Elizabeth, in the acknowledgements, mentions her own struggle with depression. It feels like this story could be deeply personal for her too in her own journey through life.

I like to quote pieces from the book when I write reviews, but I can't say one thing just really, really stuck out to me that I needed to write down and yet the story was crafted in a way that left you full of suspense. I was sure what the ending would be and then it switched and I was left bewildered and then it switched again back to what I thought it would be, but the ride was fun and so worth it. 

Another thing this book did was expose what lies and deception can do, how it can change a person and mess a family up in hidden ways and how beautiful life can be if lived fully in the truth and light of grace.

I just really enjoyed this book. I was reminded again how much I enjoy the writing of Elizabeth Musser and how I need to stay on a look out for more of her books to read. 

I received this book from Bethany House via NetGalley and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed were my own. 

                            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche