Her debut novel, Katie Powner has me anxiously awaiting any more novels she might be writing.  This is the kind of story I am looking for, a story with feelings and emotions, but not romance, a true-to-life story, a story that has you turning the pages because you want to know if the characters made it through, if they were able to restore relationships.


Gerrit is a crotchety man recently retired from farm life and struggling to find his way back to his wife, his family, even to his own life, to find peace with himself.


Rae is struggling to live up to her parents' expectations and feels like it all depends on her to hold everything together. 


Then there's Morgan and Taylor and Kylee and David and Gerrit's wife, Hannie, and his children, Evi and Noah and,  of course, the neighbor across the street. 


I just loved this book. I want to read Christian fiction, but get disillusioned because it all seems to be boy meets girl, the end.  But this book had depth: broken relationships, redemption, prayer, so, so much. I can't say enough good about it. I just wanted to sit and devour the book almost from page one and quite frankly, I did sit for way longer than I should have this morning until the book was done.  So thank you Katie for an excellent debut.


I received this book from Bethany House Publishers via NetGalley and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed were my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche