Memories of Glass by Melanie Dobson

Memories of Glass by [Dobson, Melanie]

This is the first book I have read by Melanie Dobson and I certainly hope it isn't the last. I already have one book of hers on order from a rewards program and I already scoured the library to see what they had available to borrow. So that's high praise to start this review.

I haven't read a lot of World War II historical fiction until the past few months. It's so heartbreaking to read and yet it can be so redemptive. Now, I realize that not all the actual happenings of WWII were redemptive, but I can appreciate the efforts authors make to bring those bittersweet, redemptive endings to their historical fiction. Melanie did an amazing job of bringing an aspect of World War II to life that I had no idea about. Who knew that some American businessmen had invested in the Nazi regime before and during the war? I had no idea that that had happened and it made me so sad.

And yet it was encouraging to read about the many children that were rescued in Holland despite Hitler's plan to exterminate the Jews, but it was heartbreaking to hear about the thousands that were not rescued.

So what is the book about? It goes back and forth between three characters: World War II friends, Eliese and Josie and modern-day Ava. Eliese and Josie are young, scared and yet trying to make a difference. Ava is also young, part of a family where only the grandmother wants her around. And then there's Landon, well, of course, there is, but he is an amazing man also trying to make a difference for those less fortunate.

The story is gripping and well-written and the ending is satisfying and beautiful. Redemption happens, questions are answered, new friendships are forged, and deeper insights are gained.  I just so enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more by Melanie.

I received this book from Tyndale Publishers via NetGalley and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche