I think it might be Spring

Okay, it's official. I've never been a person to just gush over a season. I can't tell you that I just love Fall or Winter or Summer or Spring. I think I just like the changing seasons and have no real preference for anyone. However, I have concluded, I don't really like Spring. Yes, I just said that.

Oh, I know, spring is a time of new growth, greening grass, and tender shoots of whatever bulbs were buried in the ground. But, let's face it, here in northern Wisconsin, spring is yucky. It's mud. This year it is lots of water as warm weather and rain combine to melt the snow faster than it can soak into a frozen earth. It is lots of lovely slippery ice on driveways making it treacherous walking. And it is dirty, oh so dirty. The snowbanks lose their whiteness and become grey and brown and rocky, depending on your winter snow plow. 

But then again, I suppose it isn't technically spring yet, but let's face another fact about living in northern Wisconsin. We will probably still get a couple rounds of snow yet too.

Oh, and did I mention road bans? If you are a trucker's wife, you know that the week before road bans go into effect is a desperate time. Loggers all want their wood hauled yesterday, so everyone does what they can. Some also call it break up, but after being a trucker's wife for almost five years, I am still waiting for that part. As one wife aptly put it, break up just means that it goes from being very busy to busy. And it's true again this year, as I heard exultantly when I came home that there was pine to haul all during break up. 

So there you have it, while I don't technically have a favorite season, apparently, I have a very unfavorite season.

I will give this caveat though, let the snow melt, the mud harden up, the waters recede, give me a hint of green grass and some budding branches and I am all in. I have even been known to snip a branch or two and bring it inside to watch it bud. Oh, and let my bulbs burst through the ground and start blooming and then I can truly start smiling, but in northern Wisconsin that also means that we are heading rapidly towards summer and spring, according to the calendar, is nearly over. 

And if we are heading towards summer, that means my busy season is starting and leisure time will be at a premium. As you've noticed, I have done a lot of reading this winter so far. I'm almost tired of it, maybe not of the reading, but of writing reviews. I feel like that's all I do on this blog, but I got a little carried away requesting books and I'm trying to catch up before summer and so I am now frantically reading and trying to say NO to most review books this month. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee