Becoming the Talbot Sisters by Rachel Linden

Becoming The Talbot Sisters: A Novel Of Two Sisters And The Courage That Unites Them

One sister is a professional cooking show host, the other works for an NGO conducting community health programs in post-Communism countries. They have drifted apart, but are united over their aunt's death and an unusual proposition.

Overall, the book was disappointing, if I'm truly honest, and I don't like leaving less than positive reviews. The positive thing about this book was how the sisters, who were twins, did come full circle back to being close like they once were. That part is the redeeming part of the book and the reason I wanted to read it in the first place. So in that sense, the book was good.

However, there is no real mention of God or church. There are a few quotes by Aunt Mae about God and a couple mentions of prayer, though more as a passing notion. Then there is the baptism of their children in the epilogue, leading me to think they were nominal Catholics. They mention the baptism taking place in the church they attended with their parents twice a year.

Both sisters ended up marrying divorced men, which goes against my beliefs, so that was another strike against the book for me. I don't know, the book just gave me a bit of an unsettled feeling, some of the circumstances seemed completely unrealistic, some of the information unnecessary. I do not think books need to mention God every ten words, but I do like when He is given a pretty prominent part in the book, especially if it is a Christian book.

I received this book from Book Look Bloggers and was not required to write a positive review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

April Reads

PRECIOUS CHILD