Recipes and Daily Planners

I love organization!!!  That is not to say I am organized, but I like the idea of organization.  For instance, at work, the little plastic blood tubes need to be lined up neatly in the little box where they belong.  Please do not just randomly toss them in there.  Yes, the one box is currently a conglomeration of tossed plastic tubes, but I didn't do it and I didn't take the time to correct the problem today.  But it bothered me pretty much. every. time. I. opened. the. drawer. to get out another tube.

Nothing makes me happier than to have a daily planner.  I had been without one for months on end; I just decided it wasn't necessary nor could I really find one I liked.  Finally, this week, I sat down and printed off a few different kinds and decided to try them out to see what I liked best.  And yes, I think I have found a winner.  Does this make me organized?  No, it most certainly does NOT, but I get a thrill of being able to take the pen and "cha-ching" another item off the list.  And no, I don't like computer planners because I can't use a pen on them and they are not so user-friendly as a good old piece of paper and a pen.  Maybe that is "so last year", but I don't care a bit.  So now I have this planner on which I have created a daily to-do list.  Now, I think I can accomplish more in a day than I actually do.  This is either because I am not as motivated as I think I am, other things come up, to-do projects take longer than expected, or I just miserably slept in and got nothing done in the morning before work.  (That was the case the morning after the last post.  Waking up at 7:44 and needing to leave the house no later than 8:05 doesn't leave much room for to-do lists)

But I still like my lists, though I need to remind myself not to pack them so tightly because I can also become discouraged when I don't get all the to-do's done.  But tonight, I simply didn't care what was on my to-do list.  Yes, I was supposed to walk (because this morning when I really AM supposed to walk, it was dumping buckets of rain--yep, pretty much literally too), but I didn't care.  I have just sat here on my couch all by my lonesome and deedled away the hours doing nothing that was on my to-do list.  Oh wait, I did iron some quilt blocks which was sort of on the to-do list, but not fully.

I worked on summer recipes.  What is that, you may ask?  Well, here's the deal:  I love cookbooks of pretty much every shape and size.  I could say that I haven't met a cookbook I didn't like, but that wouldn't be true because there are a few I don't like, but they are few and far between.  So I cook a lot of new food and not the same food too many times in a row (actually pretty much never in a row unless it's leftovers).  While I am looking through these cookbooks I find all these good recipes that take things like fresh tomatoes, lettuce, zucchini, summer squash, etc. etc.  Well, in the winter, I pretty much deem all these things too expensive to buy (except maybe lettuce and the occasional tomatoes), so I think how I will make them come summer.  You get where this is going right?

Summer comes and....you got it.  I can't remember where the recipes were and suddenly I am overloaded with zucchini and cucumbers and green beans and corn and etc.  What happens?  Some of it goes to waste because I can't think how to use it and the rest?  We eat the same kind of thing over and over and over.  D loves his zucchini sandwiches and in the summer we probably eat them several times a week, but that still doesn't take care of the boatload of zucchini.  I have discovered I can freeze zucchini bread just like my mom did at home and then three years later I can pitch said zucchini bread because we simply don't eat it, so that is a waste.  Hence:  SUMMER RECIPES.  I am currently going through my Reiman Publications and pulling out the recipes that take all these good fresh summer veggies and put them into yummy looking foods.  Now hopefully, this summer it will not be: what am I going to do with all this zucchini, but which recipe should I make tonight.  A girl can dream, right?  This is what I hope will happen anyway.

With recipes like Grilled Corn on the Cob, Herbed Tomatoes and Green Beans, Eggplant Parmigiana (esp. since I didn't even plant eggplant this year), Zucchini Mozzarella Medley and Pear Pandowdy, how can you go wrong?  So I currently have about 44 recipes and am continuing to plow through my magazines in search of recipes that I would actually make.  Now, I will grant that some of the ones I am putting in my little summer menus cookbook might be a bit of a stretch, but I like to try new things because one never knows what good things one can discover.

And...if the 26 plants of cauliflower and the 25 heads of cabbage actually amount to that much I am going to need a lot more recipes than what I currently have or maybe even own.

Well, the D man got home earlier than expected and a campfire is calling my name--just what my plan was for the evening.  Next time, I will maybe think about communicating my wishes a little earlier so that I don't have to throw a fit when he makes his own plans.  I don't really think I threw a fit, but I was a little upset--I have to be honest.  On the other hand, I wasn't too disappointed to just sit at home and be lazy all by myself either.

Comments

  1. ummm... what the world did you plant so much for! I didn't plant any of cauliflower, cabbage or zucchini. so i can take a little off your hands. So nice to have friends plant for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee

PRECIOUS CHILD