What Momma Left Behind by Cindy K Sproles

 

Book Cover

Set in the Appalachian Mountains, Cindy weaves a story together that leaves you turning the pages just wondering what is going to happen next. And she does leave you with a bit of a surprise ending. Generally, in books like this by the end of the first chapter, you know that this is going to have at least some for "and they lived happily ever after", and this book started that way, but it didn't end quite like I expected.

Worie Dressar is left an orphan at 17 and over the next couple months, surprise after surprise waits for her. She is stubborn and hard-headed and a little selfish and so her job is to learn to let go and trust God. She has to learn to think a bit before she speaks. This isn't easy, but gradually she learns and makes changes. And, as it turns out, her heart is as big as her momma's was and she takes on her mother's legacy.

One thing I can really learn from this book is generosity. I have seen this in other Appalachian stories as well. Worie's momma was not wealthy, but she generously shared what she had and Worie does the same. How often do I want to say I don't have enough to share, but if I have anything that means there is something to share. 

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche