How to Listen so Your Kids will Talk by Becky Harling

 


Deepen Your Connection and Strengthen Their Confidence

A small book that is a quick read, but packed full of good points. I'm not sure there were a lot of new points that I hadn't thought about before, but they were condensed into one book and I definitely needed the reminders all back to back. 

Reminders like: show delight in your child. Be happy to see them when they come home, when they get up in the morning, whenever you see them. 

Do I keep my promises? This one stepped on my toes. I will promise them something and then totally forget about it and never follow through. 

Understand your child's strengths and affirm them. Don't try to make them into something they're not. Along with this was the idea of listening to affirm rather than waiting to correct. Another reminder I really needed. I can do a lot of correcting and saying no, but what if I looked for the good and made special effort to compliment and affirm the good?

"God defines success as walking in humble obedience to Him, demonstrating His mercy and justice to others." This is taken from Micah 6:8.

"Your child needs to feel heard. Discipline yourself to listen to his thoughts before saying no." 

I have so much to learn. My children are young yet, but I know, I know, if I don't listen to them now, why will they want to talk to me when they are older and I am ready to listen and wanting to hear all their thoughts.

I received this book from Bethany House and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche