Glory to God

 

The day meanders along at a frighteningly slow pace. There are a multitude of fights to settle, disputes to solve, and squabbles to calm. My patience left at 8:00 and now at 10:00, my reserve is depleted, my attitude sour and my mind a whirl. Will lunch and naptime ever come? Why am I feeling like this? What is wrong with me that I cannot stay calm and happy for one morning? 

The morning started out good, quiet time until 7, get ready in peace, and oh it was a glorious day. And then the children woke up and it all went downhill. An unexpected errand that needed to be run, pee that didn't land in the toilet, a car trunk that mysteriously wouldn't open, and cookies that weren't gonna bake themselves. I called my husband to tell him my tale of woe and he instantly caught on to the bad humor that was circulating through my brain and called me out on it. He was kind, but he was right. I was frazzled and frustrated. All my good intentions had washed down the drain with the last swallow of coffee rinsed from the mug. 

And so I sang. And it helped. For a little. I thanked him for calling me out on it and I was good. For a little. But evening came, and once again I felt myself snapping, unable to understand how little obedience was valued in this house. We had trained them, hadn't we? I'll be the first to admit that we still have a lot of serious work to do when it comes to consistency and being model parents, but we try, shouldn't that count for something? Shouldn't my children be able to divine that their mother has had it and they should just be good and quiet and sit on the couch?  Yeah, my children are pretty normal--they don't catch on to these things. 

My mind keeps floating back to something I read on Instagram, a phrase is haunting me: glory to God. What if I lived my day with the focus of bringing glory to God? What if every waking moment was consumed with how to love God, how to give Him glory? What if my children's fights became opportunities for teaching them problem solving for the glory of God? And as the day ends, my heart sinks as I realize that I failed so miserably in living a life of focus on the glory of God.

The next day, I sit here on the rocking chair, computer in lap and pen these words. The day has been so much smoother, there has been less fighting, less disputes, more joy and happiness. The children have played together so well. The loaves of bread were baked in good time, a slice of toast was enjoyed and overall happiness ruled. What changed? I honestly don't know. There are days where they just play together better. But I also know that today I tried to remember that I do what I do for the glory of God. I tried to remember that fights are opportunities and instead of hollering for them to quit fighting, I offered that perhaps some kind words would help the situation. I tried to be consistent and follow through when disobedience happened.

I'm not angelic enough to believe that every day will go smoothly from here on out, (because even as I type this I am tested to see how well I can perform under pressure).  I know myself too well, but I'm gonna try. I wrote on my chalkboard that sits in my kitchen "Glory be to God" because every day that is lived for Him will bring Him glory. Washing the dishes can bring Him glory if washed in reverence and love to a Creator that has blessed us with food that makes these dishes dirty. Sweeping the floor can bring Him glory because I am blessed with happy, healthy, and messy children that love to cut paper and eat. It's a mindset shift and one I haven't made completely, but one I want to make. Because every day counts and every day matters and it is all to the glory of God

"Thou art worthy, Oh Lord, to receive glory and honor and power, for thou hast created all things and for thy pleasure they are and were created." Revelation 4:11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche