Don't Overthink It by Anne Bogel

Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life

Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life

Anne tells the story of going to Trade Joe's and debating endlessly about buying flowers. She puts them in her cart, does all her shopping, stands in line at the check out and then takes the flowers back, only to get home and regret that decision while also realizing she missed buying the thing she really needed at the store.  I can SO relate to this. I will debate and debate a purchase and generally I will leave without it. Currently, I have 4 tabs open on my computer, all with purchases I need to make, and most of them I've simply been procrastinating or debating about. I need the items, but what if? What if I find something I like better? Or I just don't want to spend the money right now. But really, I'm not going to want to spend the money in a week either, so just do it and get it over with so I can move on. All that to say, I think I needed this book.

There were a couple really good takeaways from this book that I needed. One was to make decisions based on what you value. If you value relationships and friendships, then it's a no-brainer to say yes to as many invitations as you can that bring you into community and deepen friendships. Now, it's a little hard for that particular one with so many people under a Stay at Home order, but that's not going to last forever, so purpose now to say yes. Having a values-oriented mindset will help reduce some of the pressure that certain decisions can bring.

Another thing that has been ringing through my head is this: "Complete the cycle". Finish what you started. Too many jobs in process bog my brain down, so start one and carry it to completion. Put the laundry away, don't just leave it in the dryer or on the counter. Empty the dishwasher and the drainer if there were any hand-washed dishes. When I finish this post, I am planning to go buy the stuff up there in my computer tabs and check that off my to-do list. It frees my brain up for the next important thing on my list.

Routines and rituals were another thing Anne talked about. I love a good routine. I make schedules and follow them pretty good the first day. But I'm not as good at giving myself grace. I have two young children, they don't always get up at the same time and so my schedule gets off, but I can still have the routine in place even if the times vary. Rituals are routines with meaning, my words here. I love getting up early in the morning, getting my cup of coffee and settling into my hickory rocking chair for about 2-2.5 hours of quiet time. I think that qualifies as a ritual. Again, in the afternoon, when the children go down for naps or quiet time, I love to make myself a hot drink if it's cold, or an iced drink for this summer, and again hunker down for a time of pleasure reading. This is not my time to think too deeply, but just to enjoy reading for reading's sake, at least most of the time. It's so rejuvenating for me.

And the final question that I'm going to end this post with is this: are you operating out of a scarcity mindset or a posture of abundance? This is my food for thought for the week.

I really enjoyed this book; I know I overthink things way too much and this was a good challenge to work on changing that. Thanks Anne for writing a timely book.

I received this book from Baker House and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche