Forever Hidden by Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse

Forever Hidden

Nome, Alaska and dairy farming don't seem to go together real well and yet this is the story of Chuck Bundrant and his daughter and three granddaughters who moved to Alaska to escape the past and have settled down and worked hard to make a dairy farm successful. There are cows to milk, chickens to feed and talk to, sled dogs, and even sheep by the time the book is done. There seems to be way more work than can be done in a day especially after illness and tragedy strike.

This book does a good job of showing the resilience of men and women. The phrase from the Bible, "cast down, but not destroyed" comes to mind. While it's taken out of context here, this family was determined to make a way when times were tough. The Pastor preached on contentment and joy in all circumstances and Havyn (the main character of the main characters) really wanted to do that in her own life. I needed that reminder myself that even when life is throwing a curve ball, I can choose contentment and I can choose joy.

Another thing I liked about the book is it didn't end happily ever after. Yes, there was a happy ending, but it was overshadowed by grief and loss and I appreciate when books do that. Life doesn't always give happy endings and I like when my books reflect real life.

I read a lot of Tracie Peterson books and I think my favorite are the ones she co-authors with Kimberley Woodhouse. It might all be in my head, but they seem to have a deeper depth to them than the ones she writes on her own. The characters seem more developed and thoughtful perhaps; I'm not sure I can completely describe it, but that is my takeaway so far.

I received this book from Bethany House via NetGalley and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche