The Minimalist Home by Joshua Becker

The Minimalist Home: A Room-by-room Guide To A Decluttered, Refocused Life

A Room-by-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life

Well, I feel like I should be decluttering my house rather than writing this book review. Joshua gives detailed room by room to-do lists, if you will, for how to get rid of clutter and stuff in your house. Ten years ago, he took on minimalism and hasn't looked back yet.

I really enjoyed the book and now I find myself looking around and thinking of all the things I should or want to get rid of. It's probably not all feasible, but reading this book just days before I am planning to clean up and clean out our office/storage/sewing/hobby/whatever it needs to be room and I feel inspired and defeated both to get going on it. I know there are things to throw out and definitely ways to organize to take up less space, but I also know I love my hobbies and projects....

This book gave some good ideas. I don't consider myself a true minimalist. I like decorations, books, memorabilia, etc. but I do like simple. I like clutter free bookshelves and a clean table and there's a breath of joy when the one side of my kitchen counter is clear except for my stack of papers (planner, menus, etc.)  I have also been thinking of the fact that I still have too many clothes, even after I thought I thoroughly purged my closet a year or two ago. So I have been given many good ideas that I would like incorporate. We are hoping to move within the next year and I have grand ideas for the moving process and the settling in process, ways I can incorporate some of these ideas from this book.

One thing I really liked that Joshua said in this book is to get rid of the things that distract. If you have a decor item that is really special to you, then clear away the five things around it that prevent you from even noticing the item itself. Keep the things that mean the most to you. If you don't need it or it is an extra special memento, get rid of it.

"The people are the life of a home. Successful family living was never about the size of a house. So make more of the people within your household, and make less of the house itself."

I really enjoyed this book and think it would be helpful for anyone who wants to embark on the journey of minimalism.

I received this book from Waterbrook and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee