Prepared for a Purpose

After everything that has happened in the past 2 weeks, this feels a bit frivolous, but I do enjoy my free books and so I will continue writing my book reviews.

This book was given to me by Bethany House Publishers for the purpose of reading it and writing a review on my view of the book.

Prepared for a Purpose by Antoinette Tuff and Alex Tresniowski

This was a good book--it was the story of how Antoinette was able to deal calmly with a gunman and avert a school shooting in Albany Georgia last August 20, 2013.

The authors knew how to hold you in suspense.  Every chapter talked a little about the gunman and what he was doing and then it would backtrack in to Antoinette's life and talk about  how her experiences shaped who she was and how it allowed her to stand calmly in the face of death.

She had had a hard life--homeless at times; a dad who really didn't like her at all as a young person.  She had a baby out of wedlock with the man who would later become her husband, but who was unfaithful to her and after 33 years of marriage they divorced.  I don't approve of all the decisions she made, but I believe now she is trying to live for God and wants to follow Him with every fiber of her being and I think she is successful in doing that.  I think only God could have helped her stand strong during that trying hour in the front office of the McNair Elementary school that August day.

I haven't always made the best decisions in my life either and I am grateful that there is forgiveness and second chances and that God is faithful to help us through the rough times.  I think the book struck a chord now because while my trials are so different from Antoinette's, grief is thick in my heart right now and reading the story of how someone else rose above their circumstances to live for God gives me inspiration to keep on keeping on.

Comments

  1. God Bless you Dear Sister and Brother-In-Law!! You are always close in my thoughts. I think and pray for you both a lot!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

April Reads

The Swindler's Daughter by Stephania H. McGee