The Proverbs 31 woman

So, I really left this blog in an annoying and disturbed state of mind.  I am healthy again and have been for nearly a month.  Wow, I never realized how good it is to feel good.  I guess it's clear proof that sometimes you never know what you had until it's missing.

So, for the last several weeks, I have been studying the Proverbs 31 woman, using the course outlined here. I have really been enjoying it.  I don't know if all the descriptions is really how it was for this lady, but I do know it has really helped me to feel like I could maybe attain to some form of virtue.  I did tell D this morning though, that sometimes I feel like the only thing I have in common with this lady is the fact of hunting for good deals.  (She gathers her food from afar was given to mean, she went the distance to buy good, wholesome, and cheaper food than buying it at the corner store.)  But as I sit here on the couch, there are dishes piled on the counter that didn't get done last night.  I bought a $5 Little Caesar's unhealthy, high-caloric pizza for supper that we scarfed down, followed by more unhealthy substances of strawberries and ice cream.  So, I have many things to work on yet.

Yesterday, the talk was on how she clothes her household in scarlet and fine linen and makes bed coverings. The thought given to me was the Proverbs 31 woman dressed herself nicely.  The complementing verses were from I Timothy where it talked about not being unnecessarily adorned and I wonder how the 2 mesh.  I think they do.  I think as Christians who want to be a light and witness where-ever they go have a responsibility to look like like they care about life and about themselves.  Who is drawn to the person you meet in the store with a ragged shirt that doesn't fit right and baggy, sloppy looking jeans or a skirt that's all wrinkly and maybe even a bit torn?  You don't look at them and think: I want what they have.  I think sometimes, as Christians, we feel this need to look dowdy.  I don't know--does it make us feel more spiritual or is it the fact that we never learned how to be neat about it all?  I also don't think we need to be in on the latest fads and fashion and be decked out with jewelry either.  I don't know if this is making any sense.  But somedays, I would like to take a few ladies I see and say to them:  "Do you know how much better you would feel about yourselves and about life, if you had some clothes that really fit you instead of being long-waisted and short-skirted?" "Do you know how much better maybe even your husband would feel about you if you dressed neatly?"  Does it really take that much extra time?  Maybe they do like how their clothes fit, I don't know and who am I to judge?  This was just something I was thinking about over the last 24 hours.

I doubt the Proverbs 31 woman judged others either, so once again, I am left hanging high and dry in my attempts to emulate her.  The only thing for this week that was an accomplishment was I did laundry, folded almost all of it and did the ironing--all in one day.  Now, that my friends is almost unheard of in this house!!!  Shameful I know

Well, I must move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

Five Lies of our Anti-Christian Age by Rosario Butterfield