Screen Kids by Gary Chapman and Arlene Pellicane

 


5 Skills Every Child Needs in a Tech-Driven World

A few years ago, Gary and Arlene wrote a book called, "Growing up Social" on how to raise relational kids in a world dominated by screens. You can read my review about that book here. Now they have written another book, an updated version if you will, because of the increase in screen use over the last few years. 

"It's time to treat our kids with more respect and attention than we give our phones. And we must fight for our kids to experience childhood before experiencing devices."

This book is an excellent read for any parent that is concerned about what, if any, effect screens will have on their kids. It's sobering and creates a huge responsibility for me as a mom to create a culture in our home that doesn't place so much attention on screens. I use my phone a lot and, since reading this book, I have been trying to be more intentional about when and how I use my phone. I need to be modeling for my children how to use screen time in an upbuilding way. 

This book has also made we realize the importance of Legos and paper books over movies and video games for my children. I want them to be relational children who know how to look people in the eye and to carry a conversation. Screens do not teach them this; rather screens allow them to retreat from people and become recluses instead.

The five skills that every child needs are to be grateful, to control their anger, to apologize in person, to pay attention and to be affectionate.

I just really appreciated this book and would recommend it to anyone who has children.

I received this book from Northfield Publishing and was not required to write a positive review. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche