Praying Mom by Brooke McGlothlin

 


Making prayer the first and best response to motherhood. 

This is the second book of Brooke's that I have read and it was every bit as good as the first. It took me a bit to get into it, but that was due in part to it not being a great book to read when you are really tired. But once I had time and energy, the book was super good and just what I needed to kick start me back into working on being an intentional mom. 

Brooke attacks some of the common excuses and challenges that she hears from moms that are preventing them from praying. Excuses like I don't know if my prayers really matter or I don't know what to pray and others. I don't have to wait until I have all my ducks in a row to pray and Brooke does a good job of showing you that.

I think one of the most powerful things for me in reading this book was the way she prays the Bible. She will take a Bible verse and just pray it back to God as it pertains to a circumstance she is facing. It really makes the Scriptures come alive when you look at Bible verses as a prayer to God.

"Remind yourself that feelings aren't facts. We don't like feeling that God isn't answering our prayers, but in truth He is, in His ways, and in His timing."

I just really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for some guidance on praying. Brooke ends the book with a section of verses divided up topically and each verse is followed by a prayer taken from that verse. Let me give you an example.

"For the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." James 1:20 (ESV)

"Father, help me not to mistake my righteousness for yours. Make me a woman who loves you more than I love getting my own way. Help me to be patient and to show your love to those in my life who most need it. In Jesus' name, amen." 

I received this book from Bethany House and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche