The Price of Valor by Susan May Warren

 

Global Search and Rescue Book 3

I debated getting this book, but since I had the first two, it felt like I should continue the series #bookwormproblems.  And I'm very glad I did. This book was one of the best books I've read by Susan May Warren in awhile. It was action-packed and kept me skimming ahead to make sure everything was going to be okay.

I think one of the things that I really liked about this book was it was a husband and wife dynamic, as broken as that was. There's something about reading about a couple working out their difficulties and making their relationship work that I love so much more in a novel than just boy meets girl and they live happily ever after. 

You meet Hamilton in the other books in this series, but this time you get a glimpse into his past in the form of his wife that no one seemed to know about, but when a 10 year old daughter showed up on the scene big questions were raised in Ham's mind. Signe, his wife, is on the run, but from what and is she the good guy or the bad guy? That is the question that filters through the book. You are pretty sure you know, but what if?  So in many ways the story is predictable and yet there is an internal battle going on here in the midst of the external fight for survival. 

Ham had some good things to say about forgiveness: "...Besides forgiveness doesn't really belong to me. It's the currency of heaven and my job is to dispense it here on earth."  "I guess the fact is, if I walk around with anger in my heart, it just darkens my own soul. Forgiveness is hard, but really, it costs me nothing because it doesn't come from me."  I love this idea that forgiveness doesn't happen in our own strength. We need God to help us forgive. 

And as the book goes on, there's a lot of reasons for regret in many of the character's lives, but again, Ham seems to be the fountain of wisdom. Listen in to what he has to say about regret: "But the minute I start living in that regret is the moment I doubt God's plan. God takes our twisted paths and makes something beautiful out of them, and no power of darkness or a terrorists' evil agenda can stop that. God wins. In the end, God wins." I love that thought: God wins. Today, when we are few days post-election and the country waits to see who won the election, I feel like there's a lot of fear, but God will win and He can take either man and his agenda and make something beautiful out of it. 

I really enjoyed this book, both action and the inspiration.  I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche