The Edge of Belonging by Amanda Cox

 

The Edge of Belonging is Amanda Cox's debut novel and it's a good one. I am up for reading anything she writes. Rich, emotion-filled prose that pulls you and makes you cheer every character on, especially the down-trodden ones.

It was such a good story with such good underlying themes, the greatest being the difference that love can make in a person's life. And I'm not talking the romantic kind of love though there is that in the story as well, but I'm talking a deep love that loved the seemingly unlovable, the love that breaks down barriers and makes a person feel like a person. There was just so much richness to the story, it pulled you in. It did address some difficult topics as well: domestic abuse and foster care were both touched on. And while I am an advocate of foster care, this story revealed some of the system especially in older children. 

A few quotes from the book. This one is from a grandma to a younger person regarding pain. "It's not about my pain versus your pain. It's about sharing in the human experience and knowing what it is to hurt. It takes courage - stepping forward and healing when it's so tempting, so safe, to stay and worship the  altars we've built to our pain."  This is such a good quote, because it is altogether to easy to wallow, but I've never thought of it as worshiping our pain, but in essence it is, if we are willing to stay there rather than seek healing. It takes courage to step out and look for healing. 

And a quote from mother to daughter: "Marriage relationships, they were made for leaning. Not as an excuse not to grow mind you. But we all need a place to rest and be reassured. God puts people in our lives to have and to hold. To give this existence richer meaning. I don't think we were ever meant to fight life's battles along." I'm still pondering this quote. I think there is some definite truth in there, but I think it's bigger than marriage relationships for one thing. Friends give life richer meaning and they can help us along. I also would caution about using our relationships as fill-ins for Jesus. Nothing can fill our hearts like He can.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and loved the dual timeline that gave you hints to the other part of the story, yet never fully disclosing until close to the end how it all worked out. I will be looking forward to the next book by Amanda Cox.

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche