Loving Your Community by Stephen Viars

 



Proven Practices for Community-Based Outreach Ministry


And on a completely different note, let's talk about this book. 

"Say yes unless you have to say no." This is the guiding principle at Faith Church in Lafayette, Indiana.  And this is the premise that this book is based upon.  After reading this book, I want to go out and do all the things and make all the difference. I want to shake people and say, "Wake up, we can make a difference right here, right now, let's do it." 

But on the other hand, this book challenges my comfort zone. It pushes me to think outside the box. They started with Biblical counseling for who ever needed and today they have 5 campuses with something for everyone: rehab for men and women, schools for children, an institute with all kinds of classes for the community, a seminary, counseling and the list could go on and on. It is fascinating to hear how they have made a difference in their community and a challenge to see what each reader could do in their own community. 

Stephen comprises the middle section of his book with a chapter on each of the areas that his church reaches out into the community with helpful tips on how you can do it in your own community. He starts with simple easy, inexpensive things and moves into bigger and more expensive projects that touches the communities around them. He always emphasizes checking with your community to see what they see as needs in their own community and ideas they may have. 

It makes me wonder, if each church took loving their community seriously how much different would the world be today? And it also makes me wonder how willing am I to be used of God in uncomfortable situations? I want to be used where ever God calls me.

To find out more about the church and their programs you can go to Faith Lafayette and get a feel for all that they do. 

I received this book from Baker Books and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche