Stay by Anjuli Paschall

Stay: Discovering Grace, Freedom, and Wholeness Where You Never Imagined Looking

Discovering Grace, Freedom, and Wholeness Where You Never Imagined Looking

I'm not sure why I picked this book to review, because I wasn't sure I wanted to read another book like this, but I am so very glad I did.  It was just what I needed right now.

Let me start by saying it's a pretty book: one of those smaller-sized books with a hardcover, but no book jacket. It looks like a book you could sit down and read in just a few short hours. It doesn't look as daunting as the normal paperback, standard size inspirational books can look. It begs to be opened and read and read it I did in just a few days.

Let me also add that the title is so appropriate for this day of "Safer-At-Home" orders during CoVid-19. Staying is definitely what I have been doing these days, but the meaning behind this title is so much deeper than just a physical staying.

What does it mean to stay in your pain, in your disappointments and work through them to find healing rather than running and hiding behind your to-do lists and social engagements? In that way, this book is again appropriate for right now because our schedules are looser, there is less to hide behind and more character being revealed in this stressful, anxiety-producing time. I am finding, much to my chagrin, that I have unpleasant characteristics that I can hide a lot of the time, but now are coming out in ways I am not expecting. This book invites you to stay, to let the love of Jesus fill you and to work through the trauma, the fears, and the other things that are holding you back.

"Mistakes are not my enemy but my guide back to Jesus."  But do I let my mistakes do that or do I hide in shame and think I am worthless because I made that mistake or said that wrong thing, etc.?

"I heard it said once that you know you have an idol in your life if someone criticizes you and you quickly crumble or become defensive inside." Ouch, this quote really hit me between the eyes because I obviously must have some idols in my life that I need to deal with because these responses way too often define me.

And one final quote that I've been thinking about since I read it: "Marriage is so much more about being with someone that it is about being worshiped by them."  Again, this is just what I needed.

I really enjoyed this book, it was filled with things to think about and I want to use what I read to make me more like Jesus.

I received this book from Bethany House and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche