A Silken Thread by Kim Vogel Sawyer

A Silken Thread: A Novel

The Atlanta Cotton Exposition of 1895 is the historical event this book is built around. Laurel, the main female character, has been bossed by her five older siblings and told she may not leave their widowed mother to get married, that it is her responsibility to provide care to her in her dotage. Her mother, at this point in time, is perfectly able to care for herself, but the siblings laid down the law. Now Laurel thinks that snagging a rich man would be the answer to her problems. And that is about all the plot specifics I am planning to give.

But what about character? This book flips point of view from Laurel to the potential rich suitor to a poor, honest, hard-working young man to a black man and it shows the growth of character throughout the book. Laurel discovers that racial prejudice and social classes are very much alive and thriving in 1895 and she must choose how this all will affect her life.

I thought Kim Vogel Sawyer did an excellent job at developing the characters, at tackling difficult subjects like racial prejudice and injustice. Her style of writing was engaging and kept me flipping the pages.

And there was some real wisdom spouted in these pages: "'You say you ain't a slave, but you's wrong. If you's owned, you a slave. Ever'body who's born got two choices--be owned by God or be owned by sin. Now me, I a slave, but I choose to be a slave to God. 'Cause He bought me with a price--the life o' His own Son. He pay that price fo' you too.'" Such good advice, something I need to remember.

I really enjoyed this book and I enjoyed Kim as an author. She is going on my list of authors I want to read more of. And since I think she has written quite a number of novels, more than one million books in print, I think my TBR list has just grown quite a bit.

I received this book from Waterbrook Multnomah and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

April Reads

PRECIOUS CHILD