Castle on the Rise by Kristy Cambron

Castle On The Rise

Ireland 1798, 1916, and present day. Ashford Manor in County Wicklow. How does it all come together?  Kristy weaves a fascinating story of Ireland's quest for freedom. Using history and a lot of imagination, some strong characters emerge who were willing to stand strong and tall in the midst of hard times. Both rebellions were doomed from the start, I believe, but it shows the Irish strength of character in fighting for a cause.

1798: Maeve and Eoin stand strong both in life and death
1916: a lady of title is willing to risk it all
Today: a castle holds the secrets to the past.

That's not a lot of information to go on, but it was a good read. This is the first Kristy Cambron book I read and I would like to read a couple more before I decide if she is an author I want to follow and read everything she writes. This book was written in all three time periods in alternating chapters. Normally, I do not like that because there is generally one time period or one character I am more interested in and it annoys me to have to read about another time and place that I don't care about. But I would say I truly cared about each time period this time so it was no sacrifice to go back and forth. I loved the grit and determination of the heroines of the past.

As far as the present day part of the story, I was inspired by Quin and Ellie's devotion to each other in the face of a very scary diagnosis. I admired Laine's courage, but the divorced aspect and her attraction to another man, of course, really lessened my view of her and while I wanted to cheer for her, I just couldn't.

There were a few quotes that stuck out to me, but I wouldn't say it was a huge "inspirational" book.
"Funny thing about Dublin - the rain always stops, just not in the moment we may want it to. So like God. His plan, His timin."

"Faith wasn't prepackaged. It was messy at times. And raw."

I did enjoy this book and want to read some of Kristy's other works.

I received this book from Book Look Bloggers and was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

Five Lies of our Anti-Christian Age by Rosario Butterfield