Motherhood Is..... (Part 1)


I stood at my kitchen sink washing dishes, again, and thought about my poor neglected blog. I've been wanting to write again, but words and timing haven't always aligned and it hasn't happened. But as I stood there washing dishes I thought about the words tumbling around in my head and wondered if I could do a series on motherhood. Each one would be title Motherhood Is followed by a one word descriptor of how I perceive motherhood. So there you have it, the inspiration for the following series. 

MOTHERHOOD IS LAUGHTER


I wanted to start off with something lighthearted that is motherhood to me. Sometimes being a mom can drag us down, but I think we all need laughter to lighten us up and remind us that these precious little humans we are raising are fun loving beings who need to see the fun in life too.

And incidentally, the above picture was taken when I was 38 6/7 days pregnant and let's be honest, crying was the emotion of choice, not laughter. Definitely not laughter



If I look for it, my children can make me laugh every day and it's good for me to see them and laugh with them. Just now, as I sit here typing this out, Logan is pestering me to know what color he is to use next. And yes, this is mildly frustrating to me, but then, because I wasn't assisting him to the degree that he wanted me to, he tells me, "It starts with Ora...." His manipulation to get me to say what he wanted makes me laugh. 

"Look mom, easy peasy chicken sneezy"
"Mom, look, this skid loader can go head over tea kettle."
"Don't you want to be kind like God?" 

These are some of the random comments I have heard in the last week or so and they bring a smile to my face and an inward chuckle. 

Why is it important to laugh? Laughter is good for the soul, it helps release happy bugs in your brain that can help you feel more light-hearted. And let's face it, in the world we live in, surrounded by all.the.things., sometimes we just need to laugh and ignore the fears of how we are potentially failing our children. 

Laughter can help diffuse tense situations. Now this isn't always appropriate, but sometimes when mothering is dragging you down and you are needing to settle one more fight and you are ready to pull your hair out, look for the funny in it all. I'm not saying the consequences won't still need to happen, but if you can find something funny in the ridiculousness of the argument, you will be better able to face the drama. 

For example, last night Logan was throwing a fit because Amber hadn't brought him socks. "Why can't you go get your own socks, Logan?" "Because Amber should get them to be kind to me." Oh really, I think you are taking this kindness thing a bit too far.

So today isn't a profound thought or anything you didn't know, but I challenge you to look around, observe your children and laugh with them. Write down the funny things they say, so you can go back later and have another chuckle. It will do you good. And if you care to share, drop me a comment with the humor that you found today. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche