The Secret Keepers of Old Depot Grocery by Amanda Cox

 


This is the second book I've read by Amanda Cox and it won't be the last, at least as long as she keeps writing books. 

This is the story of the Old Depot Grocery store in Tennessee, well really it's the story of the three generations of ladies who worked at the Old Depot Grocery over the years. From Glory Ann who arrived at the store as a broken-hearted young bride to Rosemary who allowed guilt to keep her there through the years to Sarah who is trying to find what she wants in life and is sure it is at this grocery store, Amanda weaves a story of secrets, loss, reconciliation and hope all together into a highly readable story. 

"I think that's how God works in our lives a lot of times. He doesn't give us the whole picture. He gives us that one stop. We just have to have the courage to take it and trust that when we do, it will become clear where to put our next foot. "  So often I want to know what the whole story will be and how it will all turn out and I refuse to take that step of faith. 

"In all my wanderlust ways, I've figured out that happiness doesn't come from the 'big break' or 'buying the big house' or the 'big whatever'. It comes from the everyday choice to embrace the beauty in the little things." I love this. Happiness is a choice and one that needs to be made daily.  And along with that, Amanda also writes about finding the full life only once you accept the life you have, even if it isn't the fairy tale you were dreaming of. Let God carry those burdens and then, and only then, can you move into the full and abundant life that is right in front of you. 

I just really enjoyed this story and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good fiction read with some good thoughts to ponder along the way. Yes, there's a bit of romance, kind of, but it doesn't figure prominently in the book even though it is obviously there and yet a bit unexpected too.  I much prefer books like that anymore and so this book definitely fits my style of reading. 

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche