The Nature of Small Birds by Susie Finkbeiner

 


First off, isn't that a pretty cover? It feels quiet and contemplative and in many ways it is descriptive of this story.

As a little girl, Susie often wondered about the children of Vietnam during the Vietnam War and then as an adult, when researching the Vietnam War for another book, she came across the Babylift Operation where children were taken out of Vietnam. Out of that research comes this fictional story of Minh, or Mindy as she was called. 

I would call it a quiet story, a story of life told in three different viewpoints with each viewpoint representing a different time frame.  Linda, the mother, tells the story in the 1970's when Mindy joined the family. She shares the struggle with acceptance that took place by some in the family and the initial adjustment. Sonny, Mindy's older sister, tells the story in the 80's and shows the differences between the two sisters in her quest to belong and be accepted. Bruce, the father, tells the story in the 2000's after life has settled a bit and yet it hasn't. There is no timeline that Mindy, the main character, tells and yet it works really well. 

I just really enjoyed the book and would highly recommend it. I'll end with a quote that I think is something we should all work toward--to see God's goodness and mercy every day. 

"But I'm a fortunate man who has witnessed God's new mercies coming every morning whether I deserve them or not. 
"More often than not, I've needed Linda to point them out to me. She's always on the lookout for the goodness of God."

I received this book from Revell and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche