Searching for Certainty by Shelly Miller

 

Finding God in the Disruptions of Life

I'm struggling to come to grips with this book. It was so very helpful for me; I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through. The timing was providential; written in 2019, but released in October, 2020 in the midst of a very tumultuous year and you can't help but believe that God was orchestrating all of this. But then I read the epilogue and Shelly talks about Co-Vid yes, but she also talks about her cancer journey and how the very things she writes about she is now needing to put into practice. It made the book come alive for me a bit more. After finishing the book, I did some digging and discovered that Shelly died less than a month after the book was published. I didn't know you could grieve someone you didn't know, but this feels like a loss to me. Good writers shouldn't die young and yet Shelly is now experiencing the certainty she wrote about looking for. And I want to grab ahold and claim God's truth and cling to Him in the uncertainty in my own life.

This acronym apparently really stuck out to me since I wrote it down twice:
Surrender (to the)
Almighty
For
Eternal Perspective

"Being safe isn't wrong and seeking security isn't sinful, but according to god, achieving comfort isn't a priority to him....He promises that he will be with you." God is looking to perfect me and then best way to do that is often through discomfort. When I am comfortable, it is too easy to feel that I don't need God and I can make my way on my own, but nothing could be further from the truth. "The very things that bring comfort can keep us enslaved to the past and unable to move forward."

"We are most safe not when the details of life seem perfectly ordered, but when we are listening for the still, small voice of the I AM in the messy mundane of the everyday."

I could go on and on with quotes from the book, but I will stop with those. I just highly recommend this book to everyone. We are living in uncertain times, but we don't need to fear, there is safety in Jesus.

I received this book from  Bethany House and was not required to write a positive review.  All opinions expressed are my own. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrant Whiffs of Joy by Dorcas Smucker (It's Giveaway time)

PRECIOUS CHILD

With Every Memory by Janine Rosche